Monday, November 22, 2010

The final count down...

The year is rolling to a stop in about 35+ days so I figured a post before then would be good.

Bryon's next MRI will be done in Logan instead of SLC. HURRAY!! He is feeling well and making progress in his speech and cognitive functions. He is having troubles with a few things that make it difficult for me since I am not at home, but I would rather be working and having him learn by himself than having to constantly hold his hand. I think he kind of enjoys the independence as well. After watching a Warren Miller Ski Documentary he decided it was time to pick up a hobby...rather, continue an already existing hobby...snow skiing. I am anxious to see the snow fly since it has been years since we let Bryon loose on the slopes, but I am sure it is a lot like riding a bike. We'll send out a warning when he heads to Beaver Mountain, just to give you all the heads up to get out of the way.

Recently, Bryon started making appointments at Logan Regional to have his vascular port flushed once a month. Seeing how this has been done for well over a year, I joked and said I should do it. Bryon agreed! In about 30 days I will be heading into the hospital with him and I will get a crash course in how to administer Heparin (anti-coagulant) and properly flush a port with saline solution...needles and all! I am so excited that there are not words to describe it...seriously!!

So, the next time we post it should be after the last MRI of 2010 that is scheduled for December 6th. After that we will probably have lots to report about the home nursing try outs, any bets on how much blood will be wasted during my training at Bryon's expense? That should be a long enough break to get you through the holidays and on to the new year. As a side note, for anyone who reads the families private blog, it will be discontinued by the end of the year. This will be easier and more efficient to update only one blog.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so glad there are many concerned readers out there. Guess a blog isn't necessary anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, admittedly I dont check blogs often, but I do think about you and I am glad to see updates! My mom had a pic line when I was in highschool and I did the heparin and saline flushes. I know a port is different, but I still say it wont be too much of a stretch for you! and less trips out is always a plus!

    ReplyDelete