Friday, March 5, 2010

Are you serious?

We received an email today from the trail coordinator, Travis, who communicates with the drug company regarding Bryon's treatment protocol. He said the drug people were pleased with the MRI results from two weeks ago, but they wold like a confirmation of it's results. This means on Bryon's week off of treatment he gets to go to SLC for a second MRI (that lasts only about an hour). That's nice and everything, but who is going to pay for the scan? OH RIGHT! I forgot...we do. Who is going to pay for the gas to get there? We will. Thanks to a change of insurance companies, University of Utah is now out of our network too. Yes, they cover some expenses, but if it is not medically relevant then we get the full bill. I guess every miracle has it's price. I'd rather pay for it the rest of my life as long as Bryon is in it with me.

6 comments:

  1. That's just sick and wrong. If the drug company wants another MRI, they should pay for it. Why don't people understand that we NEED insurance reform in this country? Our current system is so broken. When my oldest granddaughter was born, she was Life-Flighted to McKay-Dee and ended up being there two weeks. Turns out they were not in Jeremy and Julie's insurance network, so guess who got the $85,000 bill? Thank God for MedicAid stepping in and helping. I wish you luck in figuring everything out. Wish I could help, but I don't happen to have an extra few hundred thousand laying around at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the insurance company wants confirmation of the results, why aren't they paying for the MRI? After all, they stand to potentially make millions if their drug regimen is successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the company should be paying, but corporations aren't logical. Can you switch to a different provider that is covered by your insurance for the MRI,? One other possibility, have you talked to the hospital about their programs to help? Since Bryon is on disability, you aren't working, and you have dependents, I think you would probably qualify for some assistance.

    Jess and Kev had to pay for an MRI for Kev last year after a head injury because, since Kevin was in a coma 10 years ago, the insurance now classifies any head injury for him as pre-existing...forever. There's some logic for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, the "Kelly" is Kel. I signed in with the wrong Google account--that's the one I use at work and people all know me as "Kelly" there. Aliases....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant to say,"if the drug company wants". There, now it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GRRRR. . . . . I know a good attorney.

    ReplyDelete