Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August 11, 2009

This week's adventure in Salt Lake was mildly, uneventful...for Bryon. Thanks to the new hospital cafeteria, the menu has changed for breakfast. Hallelujah!! We had french toast with bacon or sausage, a whole wheat bagel (talk about getting your carbs!), and milk and orange juice. Bryon downed his just fine, but half way through mine I got a wee bit queasy. By the time I had finished the bacon and toast, my stomach had had it! I immediately laid down to rest and no sooner had I got comfy did my stomach roar in retaliation. I was hit with food poisoning. For the majority of the day I was bed ridden or evacuating my innards in one form or another. So, in short, I got nothing done that I had planned on. My pedicure will have to wait till next week I guess.

On the way home Bryon wanted to go down the Fruit Way. He was just aching for some cherries. I thought I would be on the look out for any deal I could find. The first fruit stand that was open had our business. Five pounds of cherries for under $5! Bryon was ex tactic and feeling confident he could finish it all off by himself. I found a large bucket, nearly full, of pickling cucumbers. It was the last one and obviously picked over. I asked how much they were and the under age sales man said it was $18!! Holy Crap! Even the hospital isn't that big of a rip off. I brought the bucket over to him and asked him if it looked like $18 worth of vegetables to him. He said they only have them priced that high because people in Salt Lake will pay it. He said that since we were not from the city, being nice, and knew better than to pay that much he sold the whole thing to me for $7. Now I have a fridge full of cherries and cucumbers and not the slightest clue on how to get rid of them.

The whole family will give the cherries a run for their money, if our stomachs allow, but does anyone know how to make dill pickles?

6 comments:

  1. I've had my share of food poisoning, so my sympathy is with you on that one. As for the cucumbers, I am not a pickle maker, but I happen to know that your grandma Smith is a pickling genious. She makes the best pickles I've ever had. I'm a huge fan of her sweet pickles, but I'm sure she could teach you to make dill as well. Have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of recipes for dill pickles and all of Grandma W.'s recipes for other assortments. You are welcome to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and shouldn't there be a rule against contracting food poisoning at a hospital? Are they trying to drum up business. (this comment and last one are Julie, not Christina by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food poisoning doesn't usually hit that fast. You probably had a stomach virus of some sort. Have you been around the Raptors? I hear they are little germ factories. You seem to have recovered quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found a recipe for dills, it was as basic as they get. I am making them now, so cross your fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sliced cucumbers in vinegar with salt and pepper are our favorite...

    ReplyDelete