Sunday, April 12, 2009

Just in time for Spring!

Sara would like to think she has a green thumb, so with the welcoming of spring weather she started some tomatoes from seed. Unfortunately, she got a little carried away and planted more than she could ever care for in her own garden. Now, she and Bryon would like to share the wealth with you.

By the end of May, these plants will be up and ready to plant in your own garden. There were 288 seeds planted,and so far half are up and on their way. Most of the plants are beef steak varieties, but there is a beautiful Yellow Brandy wine in there somewhere. These are 'hard to find' varieties of heirloom tomatoes. The colors range from black to white and of course there are a few good red ones in the mix for the less adventurous tomato connoisseur.

When the plants are ready to go to a good home they will be available to anyone who wants them. Donations are welcome, but not required. Remember, even though there is potentially 288 plants available, not all of those seeds may sprout, so they will be given out on a first come first serve basis unless you have already asked for a plant to be reserved for you. Feel free to invite friends and neighbors, who may not visit this blog, to join in and welcome a tomato plant into their garden. Thanks for all your support, and please consider giving these plants a good home.

5 comments:

  1. Name the time and I'll be there. I think Marybeth needs some too. We would love to try some of the different varieties as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might know Shelly Campbell. Well, she is my neighbor and I am so impressed with her ability to grow tomatoes. She approached me about them yesterday and was very excited to try something new. I think this is something every gardener looks for, a challenge of the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I should have known you would be as perfect in the garden as your mom... I would love to reserve one of each kind. But how to get them?? It would be a good a excuse for a road trip, so save some for me and somehow I will get them transplanted in my weed/pumpkin/rhubarb garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Selina! Actually, I have some friends coming for a visit in May. They are the ones that live in Fruitland, and they are planning on taking some plants home with them. Do you want me to send some home for you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, will you reserve me 5 heirloom plants please? Kev and I are going to try some tomato plants in pots this year and want to have heirloom varieties only. We've heard the flavor is much better, though they are likely to be less hardy and resistant to insects and such. Just get them to your mom and we'll pick them up from there. [I'd better let he know that plants and Mary Kay stuff will be heading her way,eh?]
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete